OUR NETWORK: TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 157725.0
February 5, 2012 10:02 PM

Categories: DirecTV

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

DrTCH

1.  I have a new Toshiba DVD Recorder that I am very happy with.  DirecTV has made me an offer of a free DVR upgrade, which I expect to jump on soon.  May I assume that when I have a bunch of movies saved on the DVR, I may record a few of them on the recorder, in much the same way I now record them directly off the current satellite box?

2.  I seem to remember that the first TIVOs and DVRs had a feature whereby one could automatically omit commercials when recording.  Do any of them still have this (or is there technology one may add)?  On some of the channels, there is a huge amount of this junk (something like twenty minutes during a two hour movie).  And some of them, like the Trojan vibrator and Beezhid ones, I find truly objectionable.  They also consume a lot of time on the DVR HD or recorded DVDs.  This is driving me nuts.

THANKS.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-5 of 5 | Latest Comment

April 26, 2012 12:39 PM

I was until a recent move a very happy long time (14 year) DirecTV customer. I have a Toshiba DVD recorder and I had two DirecTV HD DVR's (HR-21 & HR-23) All outputs on the DVR are active except on some PPV that require HDMI/HDCP compliance to view. 3D content only outputs on HDMI despite newer TV's being able to properly view any "side by side" or "top-bottom" frame packing. The newer and easier DirecTV way is to get the "NOMAD" device and simply copy off content via network interface in full HD to your PC; where it can be streamed back to the DVR.

fyi Nomad is DirecTV's network hardware answer to TiVo Desktop.

April 26, 2012 8:14 PM updated: April 26, 2012 8:16 PM

Thanks, but this does not answer my questions. I can now record perfectly off my regular D-TV box (to my Toshiba DVD-R), just wanted to be sure I could download the movies off the D-TV DVR in the future, when I upgrade (and also want to dump the awful commercials, like on SYFY Channel late at night). And, no need for 3D or HD at this point, My picture on my ten year old, 32" flat screen (not flat panel) set is exquisite. Practially like being in the movie theater.

April 26, 2012 10:23 PM

How did this not answer the question. Downloading a copy of the mpeg4 file with Nomad you can edit out commercials. Then burn a disc even Blu-Ray. Much like you could do with a hacked SD-DVR(40,80,120) using TyTool10.4.

I have to take issue with your comparison of you old 32"crt to a theater, LAUGHABLE! The 480x480 mpeg2 that DirecTV xmits as Standard Def is far short of Theater Quality, not even close.

I'm a big fan of DirecTV if it weren't for the eve of the roof I'd stil be with them, I wasn't exagerating I was a 14 year customer and an official beta tester.

If you want to insist your 32" anaolg TV is near Theater Quality your high on something illegal.

April 27, 2012 12:50 PM

Thanks for the further explanation (re editing). I have viewed the pictures on HD sets, at stores, and I swear that this picture is pretty close. And certainly not worth the $800 (or?), I'd have to cough up for a flat-panel set. Also, the screen ratio is pretty good on this Sony set, so we do better with most movies, than we did on our previous sets. And, I still wish there were a way to IMMEDIATELY delete the damn commercials "in real time."

April 27, 2012 3:38 PM

Get your eyes checked

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-5 of 5 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window