OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1.21836E7
October 7, 2007 02:13 AM

Categories: General Discussion

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

dhowerter

Perhaps someone here can help me :)

Are there any DVR (Digital Video Recorder) Boxes to record on you can buy WITHOUT a monthly (or yearly) charge? (or at least a very cheap monthly charge, like a couple of dollars a month)

In other words, a box (**New OR Used**) that would have audio / video inputs and outputs and let you record shows/movies on a Hard drive / other memory inside the box and play any of it back at will on a TV (NOT a PC -
but uses no video tapes or discs ).

And, of course it would only be a *one-time* purchase; you would just buy the box and that is it, ***NO monthly service charge***. (or a very cheap one)

I already have digital cable with a program guide, so I just need something to record on ;), kind of like a digital VCR. (just bare bones recording – does not need a lot of frilly options ;)

My cable company does offer a DVR Box (which would do what I want) but it costs an extra $25 a month and I definitely do NOT want any kind of box with an additional monthly charge over what I'm paying now :-(       (unless like I said, the monthly charge is very cheap like a few dollars a month)

Does anything like what I want exist? (set top box that lets you record / no tapes or discs / no or *very* cheap *monthly* charges)

If so, what exactly is it called (brand and product name) and if you have any clue what it costs (new or if possible, used), that would be nice too :) Any other info / product page links on it you could provide would also be appreciated.

If they do sell DVR Boxes completely separately (no services or DVD Burner parts ;), what are they called technically? Just "DVR Box"?

For example, if I were to go to Best Buy's homepage and use the Search blank, what terms would I enter to find one of these DVR Boxes?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 28 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

October 11, 2007 12:10 AM

thank you for asking....call me old fashion but I'm still using a VCR simply because I can't find anything to replace it.  I don't understand why I would have to pay for a monthly subcription for something I was getting free from a videocassette?  Please, does anyone out there know of any type of DVR system that in essence replaces a VCR.  I want to be able to buy the unit and not a lifetime subscription to a machine that apparently tries to think for you on what you want to watch.   I know what I want to watch and I know which days and when they show, I just need to record TV so I can watch it, when I want to watch it.

October 11, 2007 1:09 AM

morgana47 - You're just like me  :) I also know exactly when my programs are on, I just need something to record them ON.

Actually I'm investigating the DVR Box because my VCR is having technical problems and I only bought it around a year ago (NEW off ebay)

I thought maybe DVR boxes would last longer ;)

At any rate, could anyone please address the questions from the first post? :-)

October 11, 2007 3:39 PM

Yes there is a such machine. I have a Philips DVDR 3537H/37 that I bought from Wamart for $289. It is a stand alone digital recorder with a 160 GB hard drive, a dvd burner built in, NTSC (analog) ATSC (digital) QAM (digital cable) tuners, up to 1080 P Upconversion of DVD playback, and HDMI, Component, Composit, and S Video output connections. And no monthly service fees. Copy and paste the following to get to the Philips website.  http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_DVDR3575H_37_US_CONSUMER/Hard-Disk-DVD-Recorder+DVDR3575H-37

This thread also talks about the player and how to use it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

There is also a Poloroid unit very simular to the Philips.

I hope this helps you.

October 12, 2007 1:28 AM

Check out this link from this site. I checked out the link and the Monolith Media Center seems pretty cool too. Here is the link: http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/thread/14756/Monolith-Media-Center---Pre-built-MythTV-box/

2 Phillips DSR704's InstantCaked 6.2a-PTVnet -200GB HD's-MRV-HMO my MP3's, 3 Hughes SD-DVR40's-InstantCaked 6.2a and PTVnet -250GB HD's-MRV-HMO my MP3's, 1 Hughes HDVR2 IntantCaked 6.2a and PTVnet- 2 40GB HD's-ONLY for MRV storage.

October 13, 2007 10:55 PM

03lightning said: Yes there is a such machine. I have a Philips DVDR 3537H/37 that I bought from Wamart for $289. It is a stand alone digital recorder with a 160 GB hard drive, a dvd burner built in, NTSC (analog) ATSC (digital) QAM (digital cable) tuners, up to 1080 P Upconversion of DVD playback, and HDMI, Component, Composit, and S Video output connections. And no monthly service fees. Copy and paste the following to get to the Philips website.  http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/us/consumer/cc/_productid_DVDR3575H_37_US_CONSUMER/Hard-Disk-DVD-Recorder+DVDR3575H-37 This thread also talks about the player and how to use it. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253 There is also a Poloroid unit very simular to the Philips.  I hope this helps you.

03lightning / ALL -

Thanks for the reply. 

I have heard that the hardware makers are phasing out the DVR / DVD Recorder Combo machines soon and so they are going for insane prices on Ebay. Is this true?

I'd hate to get one of those combo machines  (especially since I don't really need the DVD burning part of it) and then when it eventually needs to be replaced, they're all gone (or ridicukously expensive on EBay). -_-

RockRatt -

Heh. I've heard of that but my PC is on a different floor and across the house from where my TV is ;)

Thus why I'm looking for a more set top box on my TV solution ;)

Anyone else know of anything else that might do what I want (besides a dvd recorder / DVR combo or a PC based solution)?

October 14, 2007 9:57 PM

You can try looking for a used ReplayTV unit... just make sure it's one of the units that came with lifetime on it Though, even if it doesn't, you can pay the $300 for lifetime, then no more fees...

October 18, 2007 1:30 PM

Yes, a stand-alone DVR exists but other than the Phillips mentioned above the ones I have seen are a little pricey.  Here is a place that sells them:

http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/...

There are other options that might work but they are used for security:

http://www.amazon.com/HS-401-Channel-...

Good luck!

October 18, 2007 5:07 PM

Hi,

You could try to find a Toshiba SD-400.  I've had mine for 2-3 years and it's great. It has Tivo Basic,

which is free, and was only offered on a few models.  80GB harddrive and it has a DVD player as well. 

October 20, 2007 6:19 PM

mdshaw89 said: Yes, a stand-alone DVR exists but other than the Phillips mentioned above the ones I have seen are a little pricey.  Here is a place that sells them: http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/... There are other options that might work but they are used for security: http://www.amazon.com/HS-401-Channel-... Good luck!

Heh. In regards to your first link, I was aiming for under the $300 price tag ;-D Unless I missed something, there cheapest one is $1000 O_O

Fitsky59 -

So is the Toshiba SD-400 a combination dvd recorder / dvr?

October 21, 2007 2:27 PM

Yes - the Tvease boxes are pricey, which is why I decided to do an modded-xbox running Myth-TV with an external USB tuner card for a low cost DVR.  Is it work to put it together?  Yes.  Will it probably cost a little more than $300 in the end.  Maybe, maybe not.  But I can spend a little at a time as I have it in order to setup the unit and don't have to dump $300+ on a box that in the end I will probably grumble at because it doesn't do X and I can't make it do X even if I wanted to.

October 22, 2007 10:47 AM

Hi Dhowerter,  sorry to say, I broke down and  called my cable company and ordered the DVR unit from them.  I figure until companies start seeing the need to replace TIVO and make stand alone DVR's I had no choice.   The cost is $9.99 through COX and the first 3 months are free.  I have to admit, I love it, I just wish I didn't have to rent extra through my cable company.

October 23, 2007 5:41 PM

Accidentally double posted. sorry ^_^

October 23, 2007 5:42 PM

dhowerter said:
mdshaw89 said: Yes - the Tvease boxes are pricey, which is why I decided to do an modded-xbox running Myth-TV with an external USB tuner card for a low cost DVR.  Is it work to put it together?  Yes.  Will it probably cost a little more than $300 in the end.  Maybe, maybe not.  But I can spend a little at a time as I have it in order to setup the unit and don't have to dump $300+ on a box that in the end I will probably grumble at because it doesn't do X and I can't make it do X even if I wanted to.
Well thats an interesting solution but it won't work for me since I found out a long time ago I was NOT tech savvy enough to get a modded Xbox ;) (unlesss its a lot simpler to get it up and running than I think it is ;)

October 23, 2007 5:45 PM

morgana47 said: Hi Dhowerter,  sorry to say, I broke down and  called my cable company and ordered the DVR unit from them.  I figure until companies start seeing the need to replace TIVO and make stand alone DVR's I had no choice.   The cost is $9.99 through COX and the first 3 months are free.  I have to admit, I love it, I just wish I didn't have to rent extra through my cable company.

Out of curiosity, why not continue using the VCR? It seemed to be working for you...;)

October 26, 2007 8:29 AM

unfortunately my VCR started "eating" everything I put in it, and when I went to look for a new one, I could only find the dvd/vcr combos, which I didn't need, so thats why I had been looking for a stand alone DVR in the first place.  I absolutely love this DVR unit though compared to the VCR.   With the DVR I can record 2 shows at once and I can watch something else even if its recording, which I wasn't able to do with the VCR, and now I don't have to worry about when a tape will run out, or having to wait till the shows done, or not being able to tape some of the higher digital channels because my cable box wouldn't work with my VCR ( I had to tape everything from the basic cable in my bedroom).  I will still be on the lookout for my own to buy, but for now, I had to convert, but tell me if you come across anything.

November 3, 2007 12:08 AM

Morgana -

Welll that is unfortunate, I've never had the can't record certain cahnnels with my VCR problem -_-

August 2, 2008 11:20 PM

Anyone, need Security DVR camera sytem, send me a message @ sauchicago@yahoo.com. for good deal, and cheap price. No monthly payment, no service charge, just payoff one time.

September 21, 2010 11:06 PM

This is typical American marketing at it's slickest. A bunch of ovderpaid suits sitting around a table 10 years ago or so and the meeting went something like this:
Suit #1: The VCR is all but dead and DVDs are taking off like crazy. It's time to seriously consider the digital replacement for the VCR.
Suit #2: Yeah, so how we gonna make sure this doesn't happen again? We don't want to let people just record stuff all willy-nilly for free like they did with VCRs.
Suit #3: How about just adding innovative new features every year so people will want to upgrade their old units?
Suit #1: What's the matter with you, Trevor? That's way too much work and besides, have you seen the budget for R&D?
Suit #2: I know, we'll charge a monthly service for recording. You can't purchase the digital recorder without signing up for the monthly fee as well.
Suit #1: That's Genius!!! Give this man a raise!!!

September 30, 2010 8:56 AM

I've just had the Comcast Dual-Tuner DVR for the weekend. This is my first dvr.
The back panel has a HDMI output - not a DVI - so I think this is referred to as a '3rd gen' model earlier.http://dvr-computer.cz.cc
I don't get ANY lag. My earlier Comcast box was pretty slow to respond at times so I was very pleasently surprised by the responsiveness of this unit.
Recording shows is a snap, although I can't comment on the success of recording season-passes yet.

December 1, 2010 10:43 AM

Well, I've had a few, but for the most part they have had a DVD recorder plus a hard drive, or sometimes just a DVD recorder. Of course, the earliest ones were the VHS recorders, but I see that has been mentioned. Currently I have one Magnavox unit that has a large hard drive (larger than the one in my Tivo) and dvd recorder. It is a model number H2160MW9, I believe. It is similar to a Philips unit with the same functions. It includes tuners for SD as well as digital channels. The Magnavox is still available, although the recent ones are made by Funai. I've also got a Phillips, earlier version. The DVD recorder part died and I haven't been able to find a compatible replacement for it, but the hard drive portion is still functional. It lacks the tuner for the HD channels. The Mabnavox, I believe, will record OTA HD as well as unscrambled cable HD. Then I have an older VHS/DVD recorder combo, I believe it is a govideo unit, which I initially bought to transfer movies that I'd recorded onto VHS onto DVD. It wasn't until I had it a while that I figured out that I could use a reusable rewritable DVD to capture the shows and then transfer them to another format. None of those options include additional costs for subscriptions or the like.

There are several other offerings. I only delved into finding a replacement when my Philips unit lost its dvd recording abilities. When I delved, I started by searching for "hard drive dvd" as the phrase, and it turned up quite a few options.

December 1, 2010 1:32 PM

I just read the original post again and thought of my brother's solution. He, lik the OP, wanted a standalone DVR, inexpensive, and with no additional fees. He hit craigslist and looked for "lifetime" Tivos. Tivos that have a lifetime subscription paid up can be sold to another person, still with their lifetime subscription intact. He lives in an area where people want the newest best, so there were a lot of lifetime Tivos on Craigslist in his area. He managed to accumulate  six of them, a few cost him only $20 or $30. He still has them although since he never had basic cable he uses them for doorstops now.

But, if he could acquire six of them, all with lifetime use of the machine and service paid up, and all for a rediculously low price, then it is possible you might be able to go the same route.

View unverified member's comment - posted by VVME standalone DVR

August 30, 2011 4:22 AM

I bought a DVR for my home security System with Vision Cam. If you are looking for Low cost standalone DVR box then try to contact their distributor. I'm sharing the website line. Contact them by filling contact form.

http://bit.ly/p1d4yO

Regards,

November 28, 2012 11:14 AM

Time Warner (TWC) in South Carolina (may be more states) just started to charge $3.95 per month for use of their cable modem. Just got my monthly bill and noticed they are now charging $12.95 for use of theri DVR box.That's an increase of $16.90 per month. TWC provided a list of approved (by them) of cable modem that customers can buy. Problem while resceaching the list none have a telephone connection. So if I buy an approved modem I lose my telephone.Tried calling TWC and the wait time is out of sight. I'm sure the price of cable modems and DVR boxes are going to sky rocket as these new rates are applied across the USA.

Sounds like a basis for a class action suit. Any ideas?

View unverified member's comment - posted by Ohioman

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 28 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window