OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 761397.0
February 13, 2007 08:06 AM

Categories: DVRupgrade Support Area

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

annoyed99

My experience is with the Hughes sd-dvr40 series 2 Directivo, but this might work in other models with the same issue. Newer seagate/maxtor drives apparently need more power than the tivo can provide. If you are stuck at the welcome, powering up screen after replacing your tivo drive this may be the problem. Feel and listen to the disk to see if it spins up when you power on the tivo. If it doesn't spin up and just sits there making a weird clicking sound then there is a possible workaround. I dug up an old PC with a 250 watt power supply (PSU). Connect one of the power connectors from this PC to the new disk. Then take a longer IDE cable and replace the short one in the tivo, from the tivo to the disk. The old PC is just used to power the disk, and everything else is the same. Now turn on the old PC, and then turn on the tivo. It works for me... I am not responsible for burning down your house or destroying your tivo. I tried this out and nothing bad seems to happen. You could probably just use the PSU out of the old PC, but I am not sure how you would make it turn off and on without the motherboard and power button. The DVRupgrade people should refund the $25 I spent there this weekend just for solving this issue for them. :) -K

Discussion:    Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

February 13, 2007 9:15 PM

uhhh, no.  A single drive does not require more power than the power supply should output.  If your system can't handle it, then you have a faulty power supply. It even has enough power to power up 2 750gb drives, the most power draw out of all the models of drives.

What you are doing can cause severe and irreversible damage to your drive and or tivo.  The power supply in the tivo, if you notice, has a power connector running to the motherboard for a reason.  Yes, you may have solved your drive spinning up, but you still haven't solved the fact that your tivo's power supply has something wrong with it.  I wouldn't be shocked to hear down the road that your motherboard burns up. 

March 7, 2007 7:03 PM

I have a SD-DVR40 that was stuck on Welcome Powering up screen. With the lid off I could hear the standard noise of the heads accessing the platters but it would never boot up. I moved the Tivo next to my Dell and plugged in one of the extra drive power cables to the 40GB Tivo drive still inside the unit. I ran a video cable to the front of my TV. When I applied power to both the Tivo and the PC at the same time SHAZAM!! It booted up perfect! The Tivo power supply is faulty. I got the PS at Weaknees.com for $69!!

March 31, 2007 6:09 PM

I have the same problem.

My wife spent 1hr on the phone with DirecTV.  Idiots.  They had her trying everything that had absolutely nothing to do with anything. 

I have ordered a new Power Supply from weaknees for 69 bucks.

Let us pray this is the same problem as above. 

Discussion:    Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Thread is locked, no more posts may be added.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window