OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 22573.3
November 20, 2006 04:37 PM

Categories: Networking

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

aprest

I have successfully converted three of my DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo STBs from version 6.3a back to 3.1.5f using InstantCake. I just downloaded and burned a CD of  PTVnetHD so I can network my HR10-250 STBs. I have ordered Netgear FA120 USB to Ethernet Network Adapters. I have read the threads about wireless bridges and my head is spinning. What simple wireless bridge is recommended for use with the  3.1.5f software on my HR10-250? I have looked at the Linksys WGA11B game adapter which is inexpensive, the ZyXEL P-330W wireless router, and the Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I really don't want to spend a ot of time or money trying to find and buy the right version of the WRT54G and firmware that will work so I ruled that one out. With the HR10-250 does it matter whether it is a B or G bridge? Which of the two bridges that I listed is recommended? Is there another bridge recommended?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

November 20, 2006 6:47 PM

Go with the ZyXel P-330W; you can use it as either a router or a bridge, and it is fairy cheap.

TechLore Blog

HR10-250, Samsung SIR-S4120R, SIR-S4080R, 2 Philips DSR704s (one connected to a Slingbox A/V). One box used the "Zipper"; rest used PTVnet to enable networking features.

November 21, 2006 5:05 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Will the Linksys WGA11B work?

November 21, 2006 6:59 AM

I use the ZyXel P-330W and it works quite well. Search through these forums and you will find me asking for some assistance getting it setup properly, and Yog recommending I read through another discussion via his provided link.... I found it quite helpful. I also read somewhere that if you give your bridge an IP address totally different than your LAN, like 10.0.0.1, it seems to be more stable. Get it all setup properly and focused on your receiver/router via a wired link, then unwire it, and it just sort of disappears and truly acts like an invisible bridge.

Regarding B or G- obviously G is the preference...but if your receiver/router doesn't handle G, you need it to be compatible.  G is the later, faster generation.  Video files are LARGE, and the faster the better. 

Now three Sammys (2 S4120R & 1 S4080R) upgraded with a little help from our friends at PTVupgrade, then Superpatched for MRV & HMO.

Remember: Search is your friend.

Don't forget to watch a little television now and then guys!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window