OUR NETWORK: TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 9625410.0
January 24, 2006 09:50 AM

Categories: DVRupgrade Support Area

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Lou Jacob

Guest Blogger

Basic rules of this thread:

1. Please use this thread for posting support usage questions about PTVnet and PTVnetHD.

2. Please try to read existing threads and responses prior to posting your inquiries.

3. Please keep in mind that this thread is sorted in chronological order; some posts may be out of date, so its important to read through as much as possible to ensure you fully understand what you are reading.

4. Don't be rude. And remember, PTVnet is not an officially supported product; there is no guarantee that you will get a response to your inquiries and we encourage members of the community to try and help each other as much as possible.

Note that it is often not necessary to read every page of this thread, most of the posts are duplicated and answered many times over. Please spend a few minutes reviewing this thread before posting your questions and you'll see that there are very few problems encountered, and of the few, it is typically an error related to not reading the instructions, or not following the installation prompts.

If you've purchased a pre-configured PTVnet kit, you'll want to read the PTVnet support information first instead of plowing through the support thread and possibly asking a question that has probably already been asked and answered dozens of times.

If you are planning on using the PTVnet or PTVnetHD software CD, then please read the instructions below (the above support information will still apply to your newly configured drive, of course).

PTVnet/PTVnetHD DIY Software CD Instructions

The PTVnet Software Utility is a Linux Boot CD distributed in ISO format. We expect, the savvy computer user that you are, that you know how to burn an ISO to CD.

If you don't, here's a good place to start. If its still not making sense to you... well, we recommend you consider purchasing a full upgrade kit, or using our professional installation services. DIY tools are not intended for everyone.

Once you've burned your ISO, you will need to shutdown your computer, connect one or two drives intended for use in your DVR and carefully follow the boot screens and system prompts.

You will need to know the configuration of your CD-ROM drive (is it on the primary/secondary master or slave?) as well as the configuration of your TiVo drive(s). We highly recommend you disconnect your PC's system drive, or any other drives which contain important data on them - this will reduce the possibility that you will accidentally overwrite any important data.

Note: If you are using InstantCake in conjunction with PTVnet, please boot your PTVnet disk FIRST and then supply the InstantCake CD when prompted. Some folks have reported problems when building a disk with InstantCake, and then rebooting and installing PTVnet; this would not be expected to work unless the freshly "baked" drive is first installed in your TiVo, and then reconnect to your PC for PTVnet configuration. Clearly the recommended method is faster.

Screen Shots

We've just updated some screenshots depicting the use of PTVnetHD 6.3 with and without InstantCakeHD 6.3. These screen shots may or may not be the same as the version of PTVnet or PTVnetHD that you are using, but they are similar enough for you to get a feel for how the software should work. Take a look at these links for more information:

PTVnetHD 6.3x in action!

PTVnetHD 6.3x in action with InstantCakeHD 6.3b!

That is it. Now go ahead and read the PTVnet support information here, and you'll be good to go!

For answers to commonly asked questions, please refer to the
InstantCake Instructions and Release Notes,
Official InstantCake Discussion Thread, and the
Official PTVnet Discussion Thread

Discussion:    Comments 1-25 of 551 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 423 Next »

January 24, 2006 3:09 PM

PTVnet and PTVnetHD Hidden Options

As described, PTVnet/PTVnetHD are designed to be used on drives created using MFStools (ie not on ORIGINAL drives).

It is a confirmed FACT, that attempts to use PTVnet/PTVnetHD on "factory" drives that have been "untouched" by upgrade tools other than MFStools, or InstantCake (which uses MFStools) mostly fail with an error such as "unable to determine software version" and subsequently, a string of errors that result from the aforementioned failure.

It has also been reported that mfstools-created drives, that have been subsequently updated through a normal software update (ie. An MFStools or InstantCake created drive that has received a normal software update since its been deployed) may also experience this situation.

In an attempt to give people a little more control, and not for the intention of support folks in potentially endangering their ORIGINAL and UNMODIFIED drives, we've created a "parameter" you can use when running PTVnet that will potentially allow you to override these errors and "force" an install.

So, if you are receiving one of the aforementioned errors, here is something you can try:

Allow your PTVnet/PTVnetHD CD to boot normally and at the first prompt, type:

ctrl-c 

which will interrupt and abort the normal PTVnet execution.

Then type:

PTVnet force

This will "force" the installation of the drivers in spite of the fact that the software version is not recognized.

Please be VERY careful when using this feature. If you use the FORCE option on a drive that has the WRONG software on it, it will most likely just not work. But there is always the possibility that you will mess up your drive. You can't damage the hardware, but you could end up putting things in a state where you will need to be rebuilding your drive from scratch - and we do not want to encourage people to take unnecessary risks!

January 24, 2006 3:12 PM

PTVnet supported USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapters

(updated 5/5/2007)

Standard Definition (SD) DirecTV Units

All versions of PTVnet for SD DirecTiVo units running 6.2 or 6.2a will work fine with the following adapters:

High Definition (HD) DirecTV Units (ie HR10-250, HD10-250)

All versions of PTVnet for HD DirecTiVo units running 6.3x (current release is 6.3d) or 3.1.5f will work fine with the following adapters:

Note:  Versions of PTVnet distributed prior to 12/22/06 will not work with the Trendnet adapter or the Linksys USB200M v2 adapter.  In cases of using the older version of the software, we recommend use of the Netgear FA120, as they are the easiest to find on eBay, albeit somewhat expensive. 

January 31, 2006 10:08 PM

ptvnet and instantcake question

I just purchased both and loaded them up I only have one question after I put the drive in the tivo after it boots ups the first time it reboots again is this normal?
BUY THE WAY GREAT PRODUCT

January 31, 2006 10:15 PM

CRD2002 said:

I just purchased both and loaded them up I only have one question after I put the drive in the tivo after it boots ups the first time it reboots again is this normal?
BUY THE WAY GREAT PRODUCT

What type of unit are we talking about here? If you booted with a PTVnet CD, then supplied InstantCake, when prompted, it is normal for there to be a reboot when the unit is booted for the first time.

January 31, 2006 10:19 PM

man that was fast thanks just wanted to be sure all worked like a charm oh yea a hughes sddvr40

January 31, 2006 10:46 PM

CRD2002 said:

man that was fast thanks just wanted to be sure all worked like a charm oh yea a hughes sddvr40

Excellent. Would love to see a success story here, if you are so inclined:

http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/thread/11199/

Thx again.

View unverified member's comment - posted by Pheo2006

February 1, 2006 12:56 PM

Pheo2006 said:

Hello.
I just recently dl'd InstantCake and PTVnet 6.2 for an RCA DVR40. Everything appeared to install properly on a 120GB Quantum. After installing the drive and hooking everything back up including the Linksys USB2 adapter it booted up OK but the tivo is not recognized by the D-link 604 router. Look@lan doesn't see it and the lights on the router and adapter aren't lit.
The only thing that is different on the D-link from default settings is an IP change from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 in order to work with the DSL modem.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil

Are you certain that your Linksys USB200M is not a v2 (version2) adapter? If you purchased it recently, chances are it is one of the newer, incompatible adapters...

February 1, 2006 1:20 PM

Pheo2006 said:

It is a USB 2.0 model number USB200m. I just got it last week at CompUSA. There isn't any indication about versions.
Phil

Then that is likely to be your problem. We highly recommend the Netgear FA120 to avoid any confusion.

February 6, 2006 2:16 PM

PTVnetHD installed, but No Intitial Call

Purchased InstantCake and all went well. Got two 250GB drives working. What I didn't have was an ability to fake initial call which is a must for me because I can't hook up telephone line. I purchased the PTVnetHD for 3.1.5f today and it was an easy install. Part of install, there was an option to turn off the need for daily call. I was hoping this was also going to fake my initial call but it didn't. Once the drives were reinstalled in HR10-250 unit and rebooted, I tried to record a program and got the message indicating an initial call was needed.

I've read about and searched net about fakecall and downloaded fakecall31-1.0-5.tivo.tpm and fakecall31-1.0-5.tivo.meta, but I am now lost what I need to do next. Can anyone offer some instructions? It would be greatly appreciated.

February 6, 2006 2:43 PM

Hicksey said:

Purchased InstantCake and all went well. Got two 250GB drives working. What I didn't have was an ability to fake initial call which is a must for me because I can't hook up telephone line. I purchased the PTVnetHD for 3.1.5f today and it was an easy install. Part of install, there was an option to turn off the need for daily call. I was hoping this was also going to fake my initial call but it didn't. Once the drives were reinstalled in HR10-250 unit and rebooted, I tried to record a program and got the message indicating an initial call was needed.

I've read about and searched net about fakecall and downloaded fakecall31-1.0-5.tivo.tpm and fakecall31-1.0-5.tivo.meta, but I am now lost what I need to do next. Can anyone offer some instructions? It would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to try rebooting your unit to see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work, try rebuilding again with the PTVnetHD CD and using InstantCake along with it. Not sure if that will help you get past the initial call, but it might. Please understand that this isn't the fakecall31 support thread, so would prefer to keep things on-topic with respect to PTVnet issues; you can create a new thread asking for fakecall assistance if you wish to explore that route. Thx.

February 6, 2006 2:45 PM

Sorry about that. I did try rebotting TIVO again without luck. I will try a new fakecall thread.

February 6, 2006 3:40 PM

Hicksey said:

Sorry about that. I did try rebotting TIVO again without luck. I will try a new fakecall thread.

It still sounds like you may be heading down the wrong path; you might want to start over from scratch and see if that solves your problems. All of my testing here would suggest that the fakecall implementation that is part of PTVnet does work, so perhaps your initial PTVnetHD installation did not work properly.

February 6, 2006 4:53 PM

Removed drives and reinstalled PTVnetHD and still no ability to record. I rebooted a second time but still no go. Still asks me to connect telephone line. What can I be doing wrong? :confused:

February 6, 2006 4:59 PM

Hicksey said:

Removed drives and reinstalled PTVnetHD and still no ability to record. I rebooted a second time but still no go. Still asks me to connect telephone line. What can I be doing wrong? :confused:

I would still recommend you start over from scratch. You DID do a clear and delete everything after your first installation of InstantCake, yes? Since you didn't use PTVnet when you did your first install, that is STILL a requirement...

February 6, 2006 5:05 PM

Thanks for trying to help tivoupgrade. I installed InstantCake a couple weeks ago and did a C&DE. I've been watching my HD TIVo since then, just without recording capabilities. I removed drives and followed instruction on purchased PTVnetHD, reinstalled drives in my TIVo, let it boot and once TV came on, I tried to record without success. I rebooted TIVo and same thing.

Are you suggesting that I reinstall InstantCake, do the C&DE and then install PTVnetHD or something else?

February 6, 2006 6:48 PM

start over from scratch...

Hicksey said:

Thanks for trying to help tivoupgrade. I installed InstantCake a couple weeks ago and did a C&DE. I've been watching my HD TIVo since then, just without recording capabilities. I removed drives and followed instruction on purchased PTVnetHD, reinstalled drives in my TIVo, let it boot and once TV came on, I tried to record without success. I rebooted TIVo and same thing.

Are you suggesting that I reinstall InstantCake, do the C&DE and then install PTVnetHD or something else?

Hicksey - I'm glad to help, but please understand, I've suggested twice that you start over from scratch and I'd prefer not to be repeating the same suggestions and questions over and over again in our official support thread.

It sounds like you've started off on the wrong foot from the very start by building a drive with InstantCake, but never actually fully completing the guided setup. As I said in a previous post, try starting over from scratch; boot with the PTVnetHD CD and supply the InstantCake CD when prompted.

I'm not certain exactly WHY things won't work however, I am certain you are using things in a way that they were not tested and definitely not in a way that they were intended to be used.

If you've built a drive with InstantCake at a previous time, its expected that a guided setup would be completed. You can then use PTVnetHD. If you are using the two at the same time, boot with the PTVnetHD CD and supply the Instantcake CD when prompted -- you are halfway in between - you've used the InstantCake CD (some time ago), but never completed guided setup.

Again, I don't know exactly what is going on in your environment, or what underlying details may also be affecting things - so I would suggest you start over from scratch as presumably you have nothing recorded and therefore, nothing to lose...

February 6, 2006 8:36 PM

Started totally from SCRATCH as you suggested and BINGO, it works. Thanks :D

View unverified member's comment - posted by triewe

February 7, 2006 3:04 PM

triewe said:

Does PTVnet support Airlink's ASOHOUSB USB adapter?

If that adapter uses the ax8817 chipset, then it may work. If you are not sure, then I wouldn't attempt it - Netgear FA120 is the USB Ethernet adapter du jour...

If you try it and it works, please let us know.

February 8, 2006 3:37 PM

tivoupgrade said:

If that adapter uses the ax8817 chipset, then it may work. If you are not sure, then I wouldn't attempt it - Netgear FA120 is the USB Ethernet adapter du jour...

If you try it and it works, please let us know.

I have run instant cake and PTVnet HD on a set of dual 250 gig drives. I currently have only one HDtivo running a preconfigured set of 2-250 gig PTVnet drives. Can I pull out the preconfig kit and slap these two newly prepared drives in to confirm that all is working as it should and then put the preconfigured kit back in with no ill affects to the preconfigured kit? Id like to test the "homemade" drives before ordering a 2nd HDtivo.

February 10, 2006 5:17 PM

No need to respond to my post, It worked perfectly!!!!!!!!!

Discussion:    Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 551 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 423 Next »

Thread is locked, no more posts may be added.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window