OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 270026.0
February 8, 2005 05:33 PM

Categories: DVRupgrade Support Area

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Pending Member Avatar

Tennessee Tivo

Pending Member

/dec/hdc:no such device or address

What does this mean and how can i fix it?

Discussion:    Comments 1-25 of 37 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

February 16, 2005 6:53 AM

Any luck? I have been stuck at this part for three days and I can't figure it out. Unless I missed something on this forum but I don't know what try next.

February 16, 2005 9:16 AM

Guys -

How about a little more detail and context of the situation. How are your drives connected, what type of PC you have, what have you tried and what threads have you used as a reference for the things you have tried...

For answers to commonly asked questions, please refer to the
InstantCake Instructions and Release Notes,
Official InstantCake Discussion Thread, and the
Official PTVnet Discussion Thread

February 27, 2005 10:03 AM

Are you sure it's /dec/hdc and not /dev/hdc that you're supposed to be typing?

April 2, 2005 7:28 PM

I wish to build a single, 200MB harddrive for my TiVo TCD540040.

I get the following error message when I start the InstantCake harddrive build process:

/dev/hdc: No such device or address
Restore failed: Unable to open destination device for writing.
Cannot continue -- processing aborted.

I have double-checked the other forum threads, the instructions, the configuration, the cabling and the jumpers, to no avail.

My mobo is a Shuttle AK35GTR, with an AMD Athalon 2000+ CPU, Award BIOS 6.00PC, and 1 gig of RAM.

I removed all drives (including IDE RAID drives). I re-jumpered and cabled my CDROM as a primary slave, and jumpered and cabled a *virgin* Maxtor 200MB drive as a secondary master (never used with a Windows boot). I am using the onboard UDMA100 controller (I did not install the UDMA133 adaptor board that came with the drive). All UDMA and PIO mode settings in the BIOS are set to Auto.

My bios displays the following info:

IDE Primary Master [ None ]
IDE Primary Slave [AOPEN CD-RW CDW244]
IDE Secondary Master [Maxtor 6Y200P0]
IDE Secondary Slave [ None ]

I am using the latest InstantCake ISO image download -- Ver. 1.0e.
The InstantCake software displays the following InstantCake image info:
TiVo TCD540XXX Models Version 5.3-01-2-540 Standard Release.

I have hardware expertise, Windows OS expertise, but no UNIX or Linux experience.

I would appreciate any thoughts on what the problem might be.

April 2, 2005 9:11 PM

Typo: 200GB. -- and I also tried a different drive.

Ooops! Typo on the first message. Of course it was a 200 GB hard drive (not a 200 MB).

Since I had another drive lying around anyway, I also tried the InstantCake process with a virgin 200 GB Seagate Barracuda, and got the same error message.

- David

April 2, 2005 9:15 PM

You might try connecting a drive to your primary master, as well. Others on this forum have reported having problems if there is no drive present on their primary master.

Also, make sure your BIOS drive autodetection is OFF; sometimes that can make a difference...

April 3, 2005 3:57 PM

re: Suggestions

Thanks.

I'll give that a try, and will let you know how I make out.

- David

April 4, 2005 9:43 AM

Problem not yet resoloved, but making progress

I added a Primary IDE Master drive as a placeholder but still got the same problem.

I noticed in the rapidly scrolling display from InstantCake that my three drives (placeholder HD, CDROM, target HD) appear to be assigned to
hde, hdf and hdg, respectively. At least, that's what I think it said. The "Pause" key does not work in this environment, and I do not know how to restart InstantCake, piping the output to MORE.

My next step is to move the drives to the IDE RAID channels and to see if that solves the problem. Perhaps those channels map to hda, hdb, hdc and hdd.

I also changed the drive BIOS settings to "Manual" drive and mode configuration, as you suggested. But I could not find a place to manually set the drive configurations. The BIOS detects them as 136GB drives, even in LBA mode. I did not yet check the IDE chipset settings to ensure that UDMA is enabled (that's next).

The onboard HighPoint RAID controller provides an interface to configure the RAID, but not to describe the individual drives. I assume that it only uses its own internal autodetect.

Another thing that I can try is to see if there is a mobo jumper to disable the RAID IDE channels.

I could also try installing my Maxtor UDMA133 card in lieu of the onboard main IDE controller. Under Windows, the board needs drivers, so I do not know whether or not it would work in the InstantCake environment.

I will continue to experiment.

In the meantime, if any of the above information triggers additional insights or suggestions on your part, kindly post them.

Thanks for your support.
David

April 4, 2005 10:23 AM

dddiam said:

I noticed in the rapidly scrolling display from InstantCake that my three drives (placeholder HD, CDROM, target HD) appear to be assigned to
hde, hdf and hdg, respectively. At least, that's what I think it said. The "Pause" key does not work in this environment, and I do not know how to restart InstantCake, piping the output to MORE.

My next step is to move the drives to the IDE RAID channels and to see if that solves the problem. Perhaps those channels map to hda, hdb, hdc and hdd.

That's the problem; the InstantCake script expects the CDROM to be hdb and the target drives to be hdc (and hdd).

If you can't get the drives to map to those letters, you'll need to manually edit the script using vi and then rerun it. If you are not comfortable using vi, then it might be easier to try a different PC if you have access to one.

April 4, 2005 11:48 AM

Getting farther. But hard drive build hung.

Thanks. That is what I suspected.

I moved the target drive to the RAID controller secondary port.

The CDROM would not work on the RAID controller, so I moved the placeholder drive and CDROM back to the main (non-RAID) contoller's Primary port. That places the target drive on hdc, but the CDROM is still hdf.

InstantCake found the target drive on the RAID port, and began building it.

It consistently hangs 19% through the image restore. The display reads:
Restoring 196 of 1010 megabytes (19.45%) (89.33% compression).

My next attempt will be to find a hardware configuration that allows the CDROM to be on hdb.

I will let you know how I make out after I get a hdb,hdc configuration set up and retry the process.

Thanks again for your support.

- David

April 4, 2005 12:17 PM

It sounds like you are getting close.

Its on my list to further modify the "InstantCake Companion" script on the free LBA48 CD we offer to let you specify devices as part of the InstantCake process. We are constantly faced with the issue of "robust vs easy" and this is one of the "corner cases" that comes up every now and then.

Thx

April 4, 2005 1:33 PM

Cannot get CDROM on hdb

Although I am still searching the web and newsgroups, it appears that there is no way to disable my mobo's onboard HighPoint IDE RAID controller. Since the RAID controller is assigned hda, hdb, hdc and hdd, and since it does not support a CDROM, I am unable to boot InstantCake from a CDROM on hdb.

If you would like me to test out a patch for you, where I can specify drives, I would be happy to. Or, is there a way for me to break out of InstantCake and select drives via line commands?

If you like, we can continue this discussion off line.

My ultimate fallback is the Hinsdale approach, but I would much rather get InstantCake to work.

Thanks for your help and advice.

- David

April 4, 2005 1:48 PM

Probably your best bet would be to edit the script and change occurences of "hdb, hdc, and hdd" to whetever things are being assigned on your computer.

You'll have to boot the CD, then "ctrl-c" to interrupt the script.

The script is called PTVbake and it lives in /.live/bin on the CDROM.

You will need to look into the ins and outs of "vi" to edit the file, then you can save the file (its saved in a RAMDISK so don't shut off the PC) and then rerun the script by typing "PTVbake"

April 4, 2005 4:04 PM

Terrific! That's what I hoped you would offer.

I will let you know how I make out.

- David

April 4, 2005 9:22 PM

I should be working without modifying the script. But...

I looked over the script. The script sets variables for the target drives (hdc and hdd), but not for the CDROM. It does a CAT to locate the CDROM drive and images directory. It refers the hard drives as /dev/etc. It refers to the CDROM as /cdrom/etc. (not as /dev/hdb). There is no place in the script that sets or uses a drive letter for the CDROM.

At the point where I hang, the script has invoked mfstools, and mfstools processes fine, continually updating its progress message. Mfstools suddenly hangs at 19% complete. The progress message, at that point, says "Restoring 196 of 1010 megabytes (19.45%) (89.33% compression)".

So it seems that your unmodified script is working fine with my drive configuration, but that mfstools is hanging part way through. I have the target hard drive on hdc, and the cdrom on hdf.

I will still try moving the hard drive to the main Secondary IDE channel (instead of the RAID Secondary IDE channel), and changing your script to point to hdg instead of hdc. However, I am not hopeful that that will help, because the problem seems to occur well into the mfstools processing, after its having successfully restored 196 meg onto the target drive.

Any additional thoughts in the meantime?

- David

April 4, 2005 9:36 PM

Ah. That is correct... ok, there is an automount script somewhere else that automatically detects and mouns the CDROM; hence it not being explicitly referred to there.

My only other recommendation would be to try downloading the free LBA48 boot CD on our main site, and try using the alternate InstantCake script. Perhaps its something related to the kernel used on the CD but that is a long shot.

Others have had this problem as well -- workarounds I've seen included

1) using a different PC
2) burning at a slower speed or using a different brand of CDROM media
3) copying the backup image to a hard drive and manually restoring using mfstools

April 5, 2005 7:19 AM

Thanks.

Thanks for the additional suggestions.

It may be a little while before I can get to try them (I now need to pause my TiVo adventures and focus on my tax returns).

I will let you know how I eventually make out.

Regards,
David

July 6, 2005 2:13 PM

Not as easy as I had hoped

Here is what I have tried most recently:

I created a FAT32 partition on a hard drive, and copied PTVBAKE and the image from the InstantCake CD into it. I did the copies within Windows 2000. (I have been careful to *not* boot into Windows with my target drive in the computer).

I added an LBA48-compliant IDE controller adaptor card (my onboard standard and onboard RAID do not support LBA48).

I booted from the InstantCake CD and let it run until it failed and exited to a command prompt. I then began exploring my environment.

I found my FAT32 hard drive as /dev/hdg. It shows up under "fdisk -l", but no files show up in the directory listing. They should list under "dir /dev/hdg5". Strike 1.

I could not find my target, virgin hard drive at all. I suspect that it would be /dev/hdi, but the device directory structure in your environment only goes up to /dev/hdh. Strike 2.

It is a bit much to ask friends to let me disembowel their PC, and they probably don't have LBA48 compliant IDE controller BIOSs, anyway.

If you have a more flexible InstantCake in development, I would be happy to beta-test it.

Since I only have hit two strikes, I am not out yet. Just temporarily frustrated.

Other than using a different PC, what would be the next thing for me to tackle.

I know very little about Linux, but I suppose that my ultimate fallback would be to use your image, and native MFS tools in an environment that can see my FAT32 temp files, and can see my third IDE controller. I am not sure what I need to learn in order to accomplish that.

- David

View unverified member's comment - posted by JackMo

View unverified member's comment - posted by mjolnier

July 25, 2005 10:28 AM

mjolnier said:

Here's what I've done so far:

When I use SHIFT+Page Up to look at the setup info, I notice that it does see the cd-rom as "hdf" and the hard drive as "hdg", not sure if that's good or bad.

That's bad. If you can't get the drive lined up with 'secondary master == /dev/hdc' you will need to try a different PC.

I've merged your post with the other threads of the same name; take a look through as folks have tried a variety of different things.

View unverified member's comment - posted by Calvin

August 23, 2005 4:51 PM

go back and read the instructions carefully

your computer should have two ide connectors, primary and secondary and you can connect a master and slave to each. The instructions tell you to hook the CD to the primary slave and the drive you want to bake to the secondary master. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON THE SAME CABLE.

Discussion:    Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 37 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Thread is locked, no more posts may be added.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window