OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV MediaSmart Home MyOpenRouter Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 313199.0
April 1, 2004 12:16 AM

Categories: Networking

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Lou Jacob

Guest Blogger

If you are not a PTVupgrade customer, and do not use PTVupgrade products, there is no reason to use this specific download, however if you haven't updated your drivers, head on over to silicondust.com and you can download the full set of drivers for installation there.

If you are a PTVupgrade customer, or are using our NetReady products, InstantCake products (they create NetReady drives), or have a TiVoWeb or DVRchive bundle and would like to update the drivers yourself, you can use the included attachment and these basic instructions:

The following instructions will manually update the basic CacheCard and TurboNet drivers on your Series1 Standalone or Series2 DirecTV TiVo without disrupting any other files on your unit. This is particularly important for PTVupgrade replacement drive kits as they have customized rc.net and rc.sysinit files which would normally be modified by the standard SiliconDust configuration utilities. SiliconDust is working on a newer version of their installation utilities which will not disrupt the PTVupgrade custom files, however if you wish to update this critical set of drivers on ANY PTVupgrade customized drives, these files and instructions will do the trick.

These tools are not intended for the novice - you will need to understand the basic use of TELNET and FTP.

1) download the update to your PC and save it into a temporary directory
do not attempt to open the file or uncompress it on your PC

2) open an ftp connection to your TiVo

3) transfer the file, as a BINARY FILE, to the /var/tmp directory of your TiVo

4) open a telnet session to your TiVo and

cd /var/tmp

5) type the following command:

tar xzf ./update-100604.tar.gz

6) type the following command:

./update

7) type the following command:

reboot

Your unit is now updated with latest CacheCard and TurboNet2 drivers!

Additional Resources for Novices

To locate a DHCP-networked TiVo on your network, you can use this tutorial to help you out.

For and example of using FTP to move files to your TiVo and TELNET to connect and run commands, follow these illustrated instructions for installing our NetReady downloads and use the aforementioned files and instructions, instead.

WARNING: Please install these updates at your own risk. Do not do anything on blind faith! Although the installation is relatively simple, if you do make a critical mistake, you could end up with an unbootable TiVo and a situation where you would need to send it (or your drives) to us for recertification. We very much want you to be successful, so if you have a question, please ask it here on these forums and we'll try to help you out.

For answers to commonly asked questions, please refer to the
InstantCake Instructions and Release Notes,
Official InstantCake Discussion Thread, and the
Official PTVnet Discussion Thread

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 26-40 of 40 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2

October 15, 2004 11:49 AM

Yes, I used the netready downloads. My cachecard has been working okay with the old software, so I don't truly need to upgrade. Where would the tar program be normally found? Can I type in:

/path/tar xzf ./update-100604.tar.gz

What would the correct path be under normal circumstances? If it gives me the same error message, nothing lost.

October 15, 2004 12:01 PM

dstager said:

Yes, I used the netready downloads. My cachecard has been working okay with the old software, so I don't truly need to upgrade. Where would the tar program be normally found? Can I type in:

/path/tar xzf ./update-100604.tar.gz

What would the correct path be under normal circumstances? If it gives me the same error message, nothing lost.

tar should be in /ptvupgrade/bin

View unverified member's comment - posted by rjc94080

October 15, 2004 4:59 PM

rjc94080 said:

After doing the driver upgrade, will I need to reinput my static IP address? If so, which file is it and where can it be modified? Also, I had to input a default route on my Tivo units because daily calls via web were not working. Where can I specify that? Do I need to add that statement to the rc file?

The driver upgrade simply replaces a few of the drivers for the CacheCard; has nothing to do with your network settings. Information on changing your IP to static is documented in another thread:

http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/thread/10787/&highlight=static

November 20, 2004 2:29 PM

Current shipping driver?

I just purchased a cache card, DVRchive bundle, and hard drive from you folks.
Did the drive I purchased come with the newest driver? How would I know what driver version I have?

November 20, 2004 2:47 PM

MarkH said:

I just purchased a cache card, DVRchive bundle, and hard drive from you folks.
Did the drive I purchased come with the newest driver? How would I know what driver version I have?

don't mess with your drivers; everything is current... just enjoy!

November 24, 2004 11:32 AM

There is a new driver for the cachecard dated 11-21-04. The upgrade program here worked so well for the October update, I wanted to know if you guys could create a new upgrader program with the new cachecard driver.

November 24, 2004 12:57 PM

dstager said:

There is a new driver for the cachecard dated 11-21-04. The upgrade program here worked so well for the October update, I wanted to know if you guys could create a new upgrader program with the new cachecard driver.

we know about it, and we will... hang tight, please... lots of things going on and not so many people who know how to do these things...

View unverified member's comment - posted by The_Dude

December 31, 2004 12:42 AM

The_Dude said:

I was able to manually update my CacheCard drivers to the 20041218 release, after examining the contents of the package attached to this thread and comparing to the 20041218 native driver package at the SiliconDust forums.

I posted my experience on those forums - here is the link

Before you go read that, realize that it's a manual procedure and assumes you know how to ftp, telnet, etc. to your TiVo. The process I followed was based on my environment - Series 1 SA (HDR212), newly "baked" 200GB A drive, built with the "InstantCake-hdr-NR.ISO" CD that I downloaded on 12/22/04, and a new rev. 2.2 CacheCard that I received from 9thtee this week.

Note that the original title of this thread includes "PTVupgrade Replacement Drive Kit Customers" - I did not purchase such a kit. Just the InstantCake CD (and CacheCard).

As I mentioned in that thread, I strongly recommend waiting until either SiliconDust or PTVupgrade have released an updated script or installler. There could very easily be other things that need to be updated, that I simply don't know about.

I had nothing to lose by trying this, since if it failed again I could just rerun InstantCake on the drive and at least get networking going again. I am so glad I bought the InstantCake CD, it really made things easy!

Hey,

Good stuff; thanks for posting this. I have not had time to attempt to use the newest CacheCard drivers on one of our NetReady/InstantCake drives. Apparently, the newest nic_install util will not hurt the rc.sysinit files any more, so Jafa's upgrade procedure, *should* work. However, your process is a safe way to do it, and certainly not a bad idea.

I will be testing the latest drivers and am almost certain they will work, otherwise Jafa wouldn't have said they do - if anyone tries it before I've had the chance, any feedback is appreciated.

Thx
Lou

View unverified member's comment - posted by supernewb

August 17, 2005 1:15 PM

You don't need to update the drivers (unless you really want to); the splash screen will always say "1.0" no matter what... You don't need to run tivoflash; that was already done as part of the initial installation and only needs to happen once...

September 18, 2005 9:41 PM

tivoupgrade said:

Hey,

Good stuff; thanks for posting this. I have not had time to attempt to use the newest CacheCard drivers on one of our NetReady/InstantCake drives. Apparently, the newest nic_install util will not hurt the rc.sysinit files any more, so Jafa's upgrade procedure, *should* work. However, your process is a safe way to do it, and certainly not a bad idea.

I will be testing the latest drivers and am almost certain they will work, otherwise Jafa wouldn't have said they do - if anyone tries it before I've had the chance, any feedback is appreciated.

Thx
Lou

I've done an update using the latest drivers 20050218 and all is well, I used the update program that came with the latest driver update. It left the rc.sysinit in place, but it did modi the rc.net, which I then replaced with the ptv rc.net one which was in another post on the forum.

I can say that the updated drivers work much better then the ones from 2004, I see a large increase in the speed that it takes to check the memory card/db, before it start to cache. Making it well worth the upgrade. There are a list of things which were fix in the drivers over on silicon dust's forum site.

January 31, 2007 7:09 PM

Using InstantCake for SA S1, I've recently created my TiVo disks.

After reading this thread, I understand that my CacheCard 2.2 won't work without an updated driver. 

At the start of this thread, there is a reference to the updated CacheCard 2.2 driver called update-100604.tar.gz

However, I can't seem to find a link to where you can download that updated driver.

Any  help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Ralph

May 25, 2010 3:57 AM

Good stuff to share. Also, i have something great to share with you too: Driver Robot. Believe it or not, it's the best Driver updater i've elver used.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 26-40 of 40 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window